Thursday, May 10, 2012

Throwing in the towel

O       M         G     you guys!!!! The way this last quarter of school has gone ( I work at a school fyi) I am ready to throw in the towel.

I am riding an emotional roller coaster and I cant wait til summer so I can get off!

I woke up this morning determined to have a good day. I got to work early, my children were behaving, my dogs peed in the right spot and the day was glorious. One hour in to my work day I sat down exhausted to read the sweetest card from a parent at the school and to open a lovely gift.

This week was staff appreciation week which I have to coordinate with a committee of parent volunteers. Its been madness and mayhem but mostly in a good way. I never get anything for staff appreciation. Its not that Im not appreciated, but I am easily overlooked, our teachers are the rockstars of the school and the attention is generally focused on them. To be honest, I prefer it that way. But this year several parents on the committee decided to appreciate me, another pleasant and surprising way to start my day :)

But then I started doing my actual work. In an effort to avoid implosion I ended up laughing hysterically as I went through emails from idiots. (disclaimer: they are actually intelligent and kind people, just not in this moment) One person basically accused me of not doing my job correctly and described in detail all the things I had messed up for a field trip thing. They were wrong on all counts and I thankfully had proof that I was right. The next person sent an email to 20 some people planning an event that said I was unwilling to lead. I am never unwilling to lead, I am as bossy, pushy and overbearing as they come so therefor always willing to lead. No one asked me to lead and in this case it would be inappropriate for me to do so (although I still would if asked) but its nice that now everyone just thinks I refused. Finally there was the third email where a parent contacted me today, the day the project was due to say they hadnt worked on the project and were frustrated that other parents didnt help. This parent never contacted anyone else for help so Im not sure how she thought it would magically appear but now we all get to look silly and I get to go explain to everyone involved.

SEE!!!! O        M          G!!!!!

Some people are so sweet and I mostly love my job, but some people are crazyballs and I hate getting dragged down with them. Ah, but it is the nature of the beast. A beast I will never tame. An emotional rollercoaster. Did I forget any metaphors?

Thanks for letting me vent, I think I should probably get back to work now. My mantra for the day will be "Just Keep Smiling."

2 comments: