Monday, April 18, 2011

Confessions of an oversharer

You know that person who knows everything and can't help but tell you? The one that you are a little scared to strike up a conversation with because it may go on for an hour and will definitely get preachy as they pretend they can solve the worlds problems?

I think I may be that person!

Except I don't know everything, or even 1/100th of everything. Okay, to be fair, I'm smart, let's say I know 10% of everything.

Or, maybe I'm not so smart. Because most of my information comes from television, internet or eavesdropping (errrr, I mean overhearing).

I just can't seem to keep my mouth shut when I read a news article, watch a movie etc... and I rarely do the research to find out if things are true or not. But I often spew the information at others like its fact.I have overwhelming urges to shout things from the rooftop for the world to hear (not literally, roofs are scary, but you get the idea)

For instance, this weekend, there were snoring pillows for sale at my garage sale which naturally brought up a discussion on snoring. I loudly announced that an enlarged uvula can do that as well as dairy products before bed. I have never dealt with snoring in my life, not from friends, family etc... So where did I learn these facts? Surely from a fascinating medical journal or when I was doing research through the Mayo Clinic right?

Or from an episode of Royal Pains, a medical show on USA network.

Yep, I'm that kind of person.

It got me thinking and I realized that I do it all the time. I have a need to chime in and to share. Well, probably it's oversharing. I've decided I better start praying for patience in those around me and graciousness so that they realize that all my many many bits of advice and knowledge are of the take it or leave it sort.

Also, to be used at your own risk because I probably learned it from an episode of The Office.

p.s. I have a sick friend and the snoring episode of Royal Pains also had a patient with all her symptoms. If this knowledge solves my friends medical mystery I may start sharing my opinions and advice even louder. Stay tuned for a possible blog on how my incessant tv watching saved a life! Yep, I am not so good at learning from my character flaws, sometimes I just embrace them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment