Sunday, March 13, 2011

I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo busy...

That's the phrase that rattles around in my head most mornings.

I don't say it out loud almost ever (it occasionally squeaks past my locked lips and then I am shamed.)

I get so frustrated with the people that are always soooo busy. Tonight, at a bbq, a bunch of people were making fun of a lady who is always soooo busy saying she's busy that she can't get any actual work done.

Please Lord never let me turn into that person (and yes I am aware that I already am sometimes. Give me credit, the first step is admitting I have a problem.)

When "those people" start complaining I generally just sit quietly, tune them out and go over in my head all the things they could do to be less busy. But I'm not heartless, I understand that things get hectic at times. I'm also crazy enough to believe that they don't need to be that way ALL the time.


Of course, then when I need to make excuses for why I am a bad friend, human being etc... I always find myself saying something like, "well it's soooooo hard, you know, they're sooooo busy." This is code for I was too lazy, scared, oblivious or rude to even invite them to hang out, call them or acknowledge their existence. Pretty lame right?

Funny how we use these excuses of crazy busy schedules as badges of honor. Like it gives us merit because we don't sit on our butts all day. My reality is that I get "sooooooooo busy" because I spent too much time sitting on my butt all day. But when my husband calls to ask if I made some phone call I promised to make I am quick to say, "oops, I'm doing it now, I was just sooooo swamped this morning."  Swamped because Spider Solitaire can really eat up my time.

And another thing, since I'm ranting anyways, how many times a day do you get the, "Wow, you're a busy lady aren't you?" 

No more so than any other person in my situation, but thanks for asking. 

I get this an average of 2x a day from strangers in stores (only when I have all 3 boys with me, I also get looks of pity during these moments...) and from friends who are checking in on me. I'm not that busy people, just living life, which yes takes time, but believe me I waste as much time as I spend.

What this boils down too is, if you want to hang out with me, call me and suggest a time and place, if I like you I'll make it work. Also, stop telling people they are so busy and when someone says they are sit them down and get them time management counselling. If someone wants to do that for me I'm all for it! 

Okay, that may be overstepping a bit, do what feels right.

p.s. I was tempted to put my daily or weekly schedule on here just to help rub in some of the points of my ramblings. But then I remembered that people judge and that it's the internet and maybe I shouldn't just give my schedule out to the world (my stalker from when I was 17 could find it...) 

p.p.s.Do they have time journals? (Because a daily food journal really did help me lose weight. Maybe a time journal would help me lose some of the hectic.)

p.p.p.s. This entry started due to guilt over not posting for a week. When I tried to think of my excuse for not writing I discovered that I had plenty of time, I just didn't do it. My guilt turned into this post and that means I'll have to save my staycation moment post for another day. Stay tuned :)

4 comments:

  1. got me thinking about all the time I waste when I say I don't have any time. hummmmmmm, this blog has made me realize how much time I waste and how much I procrastinate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, I double dog dare you to keep a time journal for one week!

    You actually are pretty busy though, you work crazy days, you're a single mom, you volunteer at your church etc... That leaves you what, like 2 hours a day to find time for yourself, do chores etc...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that you say what everyone knows is the truth but probably would never admit to doing! MY NAME IS HEATHER...AND I AM A "BUSY" OVER-USER! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather the first step is admitting we have a problem! I am sooooooooo excited to see you this week!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete