Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Late starts

Late starts aren't always bad things. Sometimes they help you get rid of the nerves in sports. On trips they may be a blessing in disguise as you see the world around you at a different time then planned. With developmental milestones it's often worth the wait.

I'm repeating these positive vibes to myself because I need it. You see, our family is getting a late start at the Christmas season this year. Sickness, events and school deadlines all loomed over us and enveloped us in their black clouds for the past month and a half. We have had a rough go of it. But today, today it all ended. We reached the point where we are relatively healthy, we have nothing on our calendar and we have mostly accomplished our school goals. The weight on our shoulders is lifted and I can see everyone beginning to smile again! So, it's a late start but we are about to do up this holiday season in a big way!

Movies, decorating, wrapping, singing, Christmas light walks, baking, crafting and generally spreading good cheer to everyone far and near. That will be us. I hope. These late starts can go either way.

What are your favorite ways to celebrate the holiday season? 

Please don't say Elf on the Shelf. He's a fun idea but in my house, like the tooth fairy, he gets forgotten in my slumberour stupor and then lying has to happen to cover the tracks, and then bribing and then all the magic in life gets slowly sucked away. We donated ours to a family that could more adequately handle the magic. We wish them all the best. We apologize to our children for sucking at magic.

I love making my kids wear lots of red and green and that they all sleep under the tree in giant stockings Christmas Eve. Of course I could name 20 wonderful Christmas things easily, but these are a few special to me ones.






No comments:

Post a Comment