Friday, August 9, 2013

My kids are having withdrawals

I may need to call for an intervention.

School started this week, and it was a bit of a rough start. As we finish out our first week I think I've finally discovered the root evil of the chaos we've endured all week.

Mommy withdrawals.

This summer we hung out all the time. I have four kids but finding time for them all was easy peasy because we had no commitments and nothing but time. It was beautiful.

School started and all of a sudden we were back to having more than half our time each day committed to school or school related stuff. Our time together was just that, TOGETHER. I only had time for them as a unit.

As a unit, they made me feel like the girl from the exorcist who could spin her head around 360 degrees. After school together time became a recursive drama of:

Baby crying, calm her down

Curly has a question, tell him to wait

Larry is yelling, ask him to stop

Moe tries to read. Cries every time he doesn't know a word and must be calmed in order to sound it out

Curly asks question again, question is ridiculous so you ask him to wait longer

Larry is frustrated. Approach with caution and try not to set him off as you attempt to help him

Baby cries again. Change her diaper

Curly still needs help. Realize you can't help him and tell him to skip that part

And please remember, it's recursive, as in a never ending loop. And it's all happening at the same time, in the same room. It's a strategic attack from all angles. The all want my individual attention and time and suffer violent withdrawals when it is not given immediately.

I tried to problem solve. I tried to separate them. I tried everything. I have now come to the conclusion that they all just like me way too much and can't spend a minute at home without me. Isn't that sweet? 

Except I can't love them all equally and give them all equal attention at the same time because my go go gadget arms and other gadgets are in the shop. For now my plan is to buy a really twirly chair and sit in the middle of them so I'm ready to be attacked, I mean loved, from whatever angle they throw at me. I fear this me not be a long term solution but I am really excited about the red twirly chairs I saw at Costco so we'll just have to see how this pans out.

Unless you know of a way to duplicate myself or add hours to my day? 

Because that information would be really nice for you to share. I know, these are problems I've created for myself and I should focus on being thankful for my many blessings. You should know that The best way for me to do that is to moan and whine as loudly as possible via blog. Once I get that out of my system and refocus on the fact that I should appreciate the fact that they love me sooooooooooooo much instead of going bald as the stress causes me to pull all my hair  out (and you just thought I got a cute hair cut!) I should start feeling blessed again.

For now, why don't you take this moment to count your blessings? If that's too hard or youre suffering from similar struggles, we can meet at Costco and pick out twirly chairs together.

1 comment:

  1. Love it. I only have one child but somehow I felt the same way this week!! Oh wait, my mother-in-law is in town visiting...maybe that has something to do with it??

    ReplyDelete