Thursday, November 3, 2011

This is a terrible world!!

I just left a training seminar on bullying and drug prevention. Our school counselor asked me to attend to see if its something we should be offering the parents of our students.

After leaving and letting the information soak in a bit all I can say is, HOLY CRAP, this world sucks!!!!!

I know these topics are meant to have a "fear factor" when they are trying to teach us to prevent it, but seriously??? In the heat of the moment I think they almost had me convinced that my 5 yr old was huffing whipped cream and my 7 yr olds might know lingo like Lean, mollies, floatopia and a lot of others that were just shooting over my head. When did I get old and out of the drug lingo loop? (j/k, I was never in that loop)

Then I left and calmed down in the car and thought to myself, "I have wonderful kids." (cue contented sigh)

But then..... I remembered that every news article with the pictures of the crying parents were all about how they had such "good" kids, how they had taught them better, how they had no idea etc....

So what is a parent to do?!?!?!?!

Well other than daily urinalysis (which is easy since I can collect it from one of the many places they inappropriately spray it) and custom made Martha Stewart designer liquor and medicine cabinet padlocks, I feel like I'm in a little over my head.

Granted, my kids are young.

But I should probably do more to have open dialogue in our home (instead of my current tyrannical rule where if you speak out of turn you get the death stare) so that in the future if these sorts of things come up, we'll have options.

I could also look into the cost of 24/7 personal body guards, like I said, we need options.

How about you? Do you talk about drugs and bullies in your house? Do you have plans in place for when it's your kid splashed on the front page of the news?

No comments:

Post a Comment