Sunday, October 2, 2011

It's a lovely day in the neighborhood

It's a lovely day in the neighborhood. Won't you be my neighbor?

I loved Mr. Rogers growing up and I love that part of his song and how he sang it while changing his shoes and cardigan (2 things I never do when I get home and as a child assumed it was an old man thing. Still haven't come up with a better answer. Guess I was a smart kid!)

Today I am linking up with
and posting about being grateful. As you may recall I did this once before. And then forgot to ever do it again.

Today is a new day and I was sitting and thinking how grateful I am for my lovely neighbors while reading http://maxabellaloves.blogspot.com/. She asked for grateful links and I will happily oblige.

Tomorrow we are going on a 2 week trip across the nation! From Hawaii to Washington D.C. with some stops along the way. It will be an adventure, and I am sure, a lot of blog posts :) As  I scramble to say goodbyes (because I get dramatic about leaving for 2 weeks), pack and clean, I also spend a lot of moments with a lot of great neighbors.

Yesterday we spent time at the county fair with our neighbors who having matching girls to our gaggle of boys. It was so pleasant to have them all match up and enjoy the fair in their way. As a parent I could stand and watch and enjoy the fun they were having. I love these neighbors to bits. This morning my sons were planning a surprise to bring back for their favorite girls and I just sat and smiled and oozed gratefulness at the relationship our kids have.

Today our next door neighbors son stopped by to see if my boys could play. Of course they were in the middle of mandatory rest time due to screaming, crying and nastiness that followed from lack of sleep at the too fun fair  the day before. BUT, it was awesome that I could run next door with him and chat with his mom and plan for our kids to play later. Somedays this neighbor is invaluable in her ability to restore my sanity or provide me with  the items that I find lacking in my kitchen, or when she feeds my kids. I am so grateful to have such a great family living right next door!

Then there are my other neighbors, the ones we'll say goodbye to tomorrow morning when we all go play at the fountains together, the ones that know every bit about how amazing and sad and crazy this trip is going to be. The ones that are already praying that I make it through 24 hours of travel as the sole adult watching over 3 rambunctious boys. My husband and I are very lucky to have amazing friends all over. But today I am giving a shout out to all of our friendly neighbors that make our days a little brighter and our scrambling infinitely more manageable.

How about you? Good neighbors or bad neighbors?

2 comments:

  1. You are so lucky to have such fab neighbours! Ours are.. Neutral. Not bad, not good, not really interested. I think that's ok, but it would be grand to have what you have. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neutral is definitely okay and, I think, the norm.

    As a point of reference, I use the term "neighbor loosely. While one of my examples does in fact live next door, the others live in our neighborhood of 400 homes (it's one of those grid pattern new fangled neighborhoods).

    I think the reason we have so many great neighbors is because we all moved in at the same time 4 years ago, almost all of our kids go to the same school, we live on a small island so everybody knows everybody, and our neighborhood is almost exclusively young families.

    It's a pretty huge blessing (and a curse...knowing your neighbors makes all those embarrassing moments that happen waaaaay more embarrassing)

    ReplyDelete