Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Post-it Note Theory

This is another title that I stuck in my saved drafts. Time to flush it out and finish it!

In case you don't know, I have 5 members in my family, a dog, a cat, lots of fish and 3 roommates. We all live in a 2 story 4 bedroom house.

I know, I know, "Is that good or is that stressful?" That's peoples nice way of saying to me, "Are you nuts?!" Well instead of airing all my dirty laundry I will instead enlighten and embolden you all with my post it note theory.

There are 5 adults and 3 kids in my house, we all have different schedules and have different thoughts on hygiene and etiquette. This was causing me to lose all my hair and randomly kick things until I discovered the wonder and joy of post it notes. I strategically placed packs of them all over my house and conveniently added pens. Then one day I started airing my grievances on them.

"Wipe off the stove after each use."

"Pizza boxes do not get recycled."

"I ate your grapes."

"Will clean up the urine smell later."

"Eat these brownies and die!"

They have proven to be a great way to passive aggressively get my point across. Like this blog, I air my grievance, get it off my chest, and then I can let it go. It doesn't bother me anymore.

At least until the next time.

At first my roommates thought it was weird, but I think I am slowly winning them all over. It's even proven to be downright useful once or twice. My husband is sure they never apply to him and my children are not all of reading age yet so we do have some missed areas. If you come over feel free to peruse them throughout the house.

What would you post it to someone in your household? (I promise they don't read my blog and I won't tell them what you said)

Or, better yet, try out the post it note theory and see how it goes at your house.

p.s. I sort of got this idea from some people I house sat for in high school. They put post it notes all over with love notes to each other. I know, I know, I twisted it and made it ugly. But, it works for me!

2 comments:

  1. I liked it because I didn't have to tell 4 people the same thing at different times. I actually left one for . . . . 2 nights ago. The fIRst version said, "THANKS A LOT for cleaning up after dinner, as you agreed. It looks GREAT!" Do 'hear' the sarcasm? Two hours later the final draft was prepared: "Would you mind not leaving dishes in the sink, but please put them in the dishwasher? Could you also make sure to wipe the counters? Thank you very much."

    Kassie could not become immune, because if she didn't follow the note, then whatever was not done was strategically placed on her bed, if possible: toasters, crumbs, brooms, dustpans, toothbrushes, hairbrushes, toothpicks, ice picks, rakes and leaves. She either honored the note or slept in leaves ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looooooove post-it notes. I just found out they sell a bulk size of them in all colors at Costco. I gotta get a pack! I write to many in a day. I post notes home to parents and last year one mom got me some that were labeled "from the desk off Gina Smith" -love them!!!!!
    As for leaving notes at home, it's just me and the husband. I leave him reminder notes like "take my car- I need gas, thanks, love you!" or "Things you can do today... 1. wash dog 2. clean floors 3. do recycle" He tells me how much he hates my suggestion notes. opps! So, I haven't written one of those in a while.
    You're funny with yours! Love it!
    Do what you gotta do!

    ReplyDelete