Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Sometimes you have to take a stand

When it comes to work I made a decision when I first started to take a stand and on the days I don't work I do not check my work email or voicemail. I do sometimes bring work home and I often go to work meetings and events outside of work time but I had to draw the line somewhere.

Yesterday this plan backfired. Because I don't deal with work stuff on days I am off I didn't get the message that a meeting was cancelled. I sat in my pajamas bemoaning my sick self most of the day. I went to the airport early in the morning to pick up a package for the meeting. I worked on presentations I needed to give for about an hour, and I got a babysitter to take my kids to Aikido, watch them etc... Had the babysitter drop me off and then discovered there was no meeting. Then I waited half an hour for the babysitter to pick me back up and went back home and crawled back into my bed.

The yuckiness of yesterday had me seriously doubting if I made the right decision when I chose to seperate these parts of my life. After much thought I am renewing my vow to take a stand and keep my work at work, no checking emails or voicemails at home, no exceptions.

This is what I am doing for myself today.

No comments:

Post a Comment