Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Feeling thankful

I'm laying in bed unable to sleep. This is a rarity for me, I'm generally the type who can sleep anywhere, anytime.

But not tonite. Tonite my mind is reeling.

I'm tossing and turning a I ponder which educational opportunities are best for my children. Yet, as I fret the night away, I'm reminded of how lucky my family is. It wasn't that long ago that education wasn't available for everyone(I've been watching a lot of period dramas and learning about the origins of education. In America through the 5th grade history curriculum.) There weren't always choices, advocates and champions to fight for your children. In many countries the basic right of freedom STILL doesn't exist.

So tonite, I'm choosing to cast aside the worry and be thankful.

My son's were truly blessed to begin their education at a public school where everyone involved in their education cared. That school accepted us, nurtured us and helped us all grow. Even with the champions working alongside me I still felt my oldest son slipping further and further away. When I felt it was time, that school supported us in our decision to try something new.

Now, as we reach the 3/4 mark of the year I find myself in awe of what my children have accomplished. Going to a blended public charter school has allowed us to regain our health, find their individual learning styles, and most of all, it gave me my son back. He still struggles, but now he can process his struggles and we can take the time we need to build good educational habits. We've had some wonderful teachers that get my kids excited about things I was sure they would dread (who begs to work on their handwriting workbooks?) I've learned more than I could imagine possible about each of my boys and I've been there for each of my daughter's milestones.

How amazing is it that we have available to us so many quality choices? Public school, homeschooling or 2 different public charter schools are all possibilities for my family next school year. They all have strengths and weaknesses but they all also provide my boys with a safe place to grow and thrive educationally.

Thank an educator for all they do and hug your kids tight. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment